This summer, LifeCare Alliance, along with the Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging, will begin delivering thousands of boxes of fresh produce to seniors across seven central Ohio counties.
The produce boxes are funded by the USDA’s Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program, and have been a popular offering for seniors across our area! Last year, items in the produce boxes included apples, carrots, greens, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. Items vary by availability, but seniors get a great source of fresh, nutritious produce.
What will you make with your produce box? We’ll be sharing some ideas throughout the spring and summer, with the help of the USDA. (Note: Ingredients in addition to the produce provided will need to be purchased to complete these recipes.)
Apple & Chicken Salad
A deliciously balanced blend of crisp Cameo apples, celery, raisins, chicken breast and Greek yogurt-based dressing, served over a bed of lettuce.
- 2 red apples (such as Cameo Apples)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 2 chicken breasts (skinless, cooked, diced, about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 lettuce leaves (Bibb, Romaine, green or red leaf)
- Cut apples in quarters; remove core and chop.
- In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients, except lettuce.
- To serve, arrange lettuce on serving plates top with apple and chicken salad.
- Weekly Menu Planning Tip: When you’re planning a dinner with chicken cook up extra chicken breast and refrigerate for later use in this salad.
- Serve with 8 oz non-fat milk and 1 slice rustic whole grain bread.
Source: Produce for Better Health Foundation