POSITION TITLE: Catering Sous Chef (503b)
REPORTS TO: Catering Director
This position is responsible for food preparation, presentation, menu development and supervisory functions for LA Catering culinary staff. Also ensures compliance with state, and local health and safety regulations for assigned areas. Responsible for both internal and external catering functions for the agency. Responsible for reports as assigned. This position will manage café & catering food preparation staff. Work performed in this position will be of a professional and sometimes confidential nature. Work requires attention to detail, flexibility, excellent communication skills, and the ability to handle multiple functions at one time. This position will have frequent contact with agency personnel, vendors, clients, funders, and other supporters of the agency. A positive and cooperative image and attitude is crucial for this position. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Executive Catering Chef. This position requires a significant amount of independence, self-direction and self- discipline to accomplish the essential functions and responsibilities.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES /ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures all food products are prepared according to standardized recipes and established cooking procedures. Ensures meals are produced according to specifications for taste, quality and appearance. Monitors portion control of foods produced. Helps develops and standardizes recipes.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling daily work assignments. Completes appropriate work sheets and documentation. Ensures tasks are completed according to departmental schedules.
- Responsible for food preparation, presentation and assist in menu development for LA Catering.
- Responsible for transporting food and/or supplies to off-site catering events in an agency vehicle.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) regulations as well as federal, state, and local health and safety regulations. This would also include completing regulatory paperwork, ensuring staff compliance with sanitary procedures, and monitoring assigned areas for quality control.
- Functions as a member of the management team. Promotes a professional image to all clients, vendors, employees and the community. Represents the agency at various functions and participates on committees as assigned.
Work is performed in a large institutional kitchen. May work in refrigerated and freezer areas in the kitchen. Also works with the catering staff in offsite caterings at different locations thru out the city including businesses and residential properties. Works scheduled hours per day between a.m. opening and p.m. closing, Monday through Sunday.
Serv Safe Certification required. Previous executive or sous chef position. Must have a valid Ohio Drivers License and vehicle available for agency use.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of food safety, sanitation, and personal hygiene standards.
- Knowledge of purchasing, food handling and food storage regulations.
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Knowledge of legal and acceptable supervisory practices related to employee selection, discipline, performance evaluations, and other supervisory duties.
- Must possess good organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and assign tasks.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement based on meaningful observations and evaluations.
- Ability to maintain and promote effective working relationships with LifeCare Alliance staff, guests, and clients.