Columbus Cancer Clinic
POSITION TITLE: Certified Breast Sonographer/Mammography Technologist
REPORTS TO: Clinic Practice Manager
The Certified Breast Sonographer/Mammography Technologist assists with the daily clinical operation of the clinic’s breast imaging program. This includes performing mammography screenings and diagnostics plus breast ultrasounds, conducting quality control procedures, and ensuring compliance with State, Federal, ACR and other governing regulations. The Certified Breast Sonographer/Mammography Technologist assists with maintaining physician and vendor relations, and performing client and community education on breast health/cancer, mammography screenings and clinic related screenings and programs.
Work performed in this position will be of a complex, professional, and confidential in nature. Work requires an attention to detail, flexibility and the ability to handle multiple functions and projects at one time. Work requires an ongoing knowledge of applicable State, Federal and ACR regulations and requirements and knowledge in the field of mammography as well as, general radiology practices. This position will have constant contact with clients, other CCC and LifeCare staff, volunteers and representatives from other agencies and organizations interested in cancer screenings.
The Certified Breast Sonographer/Mammography Technologist must be able to handle multiple tasks and stressful situations while maintaining a professional and ethical demeanor at all times. A positive and cooperative image is crucial for this position. Work performed is under the general supervision of the Director and in cooperation with other management members of the LifeCare and CCC team.
- Responsible for performing and processing daily mammography screenings and diagnostics/breast ultrasounds. This includes reviewing client histories to determine appropriateness for screening and diagnostic mammograms, preparing client for screening, maintaining proper documentation, performing client education and communicating abnormal and other results/findings to both the client and physician as necessary.
- Will assist as needed with quality control tests/procedures according to ACR and FDA requirements and as defined by the Mammography Quality Control Manual. This includes; weekly phantom images, and viewing conditions, artifact evaluation, SNR and CNR measurements, detector flat-field calibration, compression tests, diagnostic review workstation QC, monthly visual checklist and quarterly repeat/reject analysis. Also assists with arranging for preventative maintenance on mammography unit and arranging for and ensuring immediate correction of unacceptable variances or other problems. Must be willing to learn willing to learn these skills if no prior training/experience.
- Will assist as needed with ensuring compliance with applicable State, Federal, ACR, MQSA and other regulatory requirements. This includes assisting with performing audits to ensure compliance, reviewing Medicare/Medicaid and MQSA updates, annual ACR updates, MQSA inspections, and physicist’s inspections. Will also assist with ensuring compliance with ODH final rules including Ohio Administrative Code and Ohio Revised Code and compliance with MQSA final rules. Must be willing to learn willing to learn these skills if no prior training/experience.
- Will assist with maintaining and generating reports for clinic purposes.
- Responsible for assisting the Clinic Staff with various administrative and clinic duties. This includes assisting the Clinic Practice Manager with day-to-day program operations and assisting the Medical Coordinator(s) with scheduling.
- Will adhere to policies and procedures, regulatory compliance and proper usage of supplies/equipment.
- Responsible for performing other duties as assigned. This includes serving on agency committees, maintaining local and national affiliations and memberships, helping cover agency phones during staff shortages, attending clinic staff meetings and mandatory LifeCare meetings, assisting with conducting clinic tours and assisting with clinic events as requested.
Work is performed in the clinic and for mammography screenings/diagnostics and ultrasounds. Working hours are generally between 8am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday but may include evening hours and weekend days and or nights
Valid and current certification by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT). Must have ARRT Breast Sonography Certification and maintain a current Ohio Department of Health Radiologic License. Must have at least 1-year experience in performing mammography screenings, diagnostics and breast ultrasounds. Must have the ability to operate a PC and be proficient with Microsoft Office products. Must have a valid Ohio driver’s license and a vehicle available for clinic use.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact effectively with Clinic and other agency staff, clients, vendors, off-site clinic personnel, referral sources, volunteers and the general public
- Ability to work independently and in a variety of settings
- Reliable in following through with clients; maintaining accurate records and completing paperwork and reporting problems or unusual incidents to supervisor.
- Must have the ability to operate a PC and utilize Microsoft Office products