POSITION TITLE: Lead Van Driver (full-time) EEO CODE: 08
REPORTS TO: Transportation Manager
This position is responsible for directing morning van driver activities to ensure frozen meals are packed and staged for delivery. In addition, this position delivers routes of varying size and purpose, equipment, and other assigned items to locations in central Ohio using Agency vehicle. Work includes packing meals; loading and unloading vehicles; checking orders; delivering written materials and other items; recording delivery information; and reporting of client/route problems to appropriate staff. Must have cargo van driving experience and a good driving record. Work requires considerable understanding of seniors and disabled/chronically ill individuals with an attention to detailed written documentation, customer service, and communication skills. Work performed in this position will be of a confidential nature. Requires contact with clients, Agency staff, and the general public. A positive, adaptable, and cooperative image and attitude is crucial for this position. Work performed under the general supervision of the Transportation Manager and in cooperation with other Agency staff.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for leading frozen meal packing and staging performed by Meals-on-Wheels drivers.
- Responsible for delivering meals and other assigned items to locations in central Ohio using Agency vehicle.
- Responsible for delivering assigned routes in an efficient order, using mileage and time-saving techniques as established by Route Coordinator and Transportation Manager,
- Responsible for informing Route Coordinator and Transportation Manager when route and/or directions need corrected, modified, or updated.
- Responsible for assisting Kitchen Management with collecting and emptying coolers at the end of the day.
- Responsible for recording delivery information, and reporting client and/or route problems to appropriate staff. This includes completing daily delivery records documentation of actual meals delivery times, recording odometer readings, recording actual time worked and mileage sheets, and completing driver observation and incident reports as needed.
- Responsible for adhering to safety and sanitation guidelines. This includes keeping coolers orderly, keeping lids on coolers, keeping ice-packs in coolers, following hand-washing procedures and keeping delivery vehicle clean and sanitary.
- Responsible for general safety and upkeep of program vehicle. This includes locking van when away from vehicle; daily operational check list; keeping cargo van clean, fueled, checking out, and in van keys; and advising Transportation Manager when there are problems with or van is in need of repair.
- Performs other departmental and agency functions as necessary. This includes assisting with the orientation and training of departmental staff, Agency personnel, and visitors, attending Agency functions, attending and participating in departmental and other meetings and committees as necessary and performing other assignments as required.
Work is primarily in client homes, apartment buildings, agency office, and dock area. Work is generally performed between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., and may include limited weekends and holidays. Employee is required to travel in all types of weather conditions.
Valid Ohio Driver’s License and acceptable driving record. Must be able to read, write, and navigate. Preferred experience working with older adults and disabled/chronically ill individuals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of central Ohio streets, roads and highways and ability to navigate using a map.
- Ability to communicate in person and by telephone with a diverse public, specifically older adults and disabled/chronically ill individuals.
- Good customer relations skills.
- Ability to correctly and accurately document client information.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with departmental staff, Agency staff, clients, volunteers, and members of the community.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to maintain discretion and integrity in handling confidential information.
- Ability to make home visits in neighborhoods of varying socioeconomic status.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to withstand constant in and out of cargo van and to navigate steps.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.