This position is responsible for direct, daily supervision of Meals-on-Wheels paid and volunteer delivery drivers.
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”
LOCATION OF WORK: 670 Harmon Ave
REPORTS TO: Nutrition Programs Operations Manager
This position is responsible for direct, daily supervision of Meals-on-Wheels paid and volunteer delivery drivers, including coverage of Meals-on-Wheels routes, interviewing, hiring, and evaluating drivers, monitoring driver documentation to meet funder requirements, following-up client and driver problems and concerns, providing department scheduled training sessions, meeting funder requirements through route evaluations and sanitation inspections, and scheduling visitors and other Agency staff to go on Meals-on-Wheels routes. Work requires an attention to detail, customer relations, communication skills, supervisory skills, ability to relate to volunteers in a productive and positive manner, and an ability to handle multiple functions at one time. This position will have frequent contact with agency personnel, volunteers, clients, funders, and the general public. This position requires an understanding of seniors and individuals with disabilities. Work performed in this position will be of a professional and sometimes confidential nature. A positive and cooperative image and attitude is crucial for this position. Work performed is under the general supervision of the Nutrition Programs Operations Manager and in cooperation with other Nutrition Programs operations staff. This position requires a significant amount of independence and self-direction to accomplish its essential functions and responsibilities.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
(1) Responsible for direct, daily supervision of the Meals-on-Wheels delivery staff which includes paid and volunteer staff. This includes interviewing, hiring, scheduling and evaluating drivers, approving driver time and mileage reports and time-off requests, handling driver issues, training of new-hires, and conducting and developing monthly meetings and in-service training for delivery staff that includes paid, volunteer, Satellite, and Dining Center Coordinators. Assists with development and on-going updates of driver orientation manual and training materials. Maintains updated driver and route lists, making recommendations regarding the need to hire or recruit staff to fill vacancies. When necessary, the Driver Supervisor will deliver a route if no other coverage is available, including delivering hot, frozen, and/or cargo routes, using his/her personal vehicle and/or Agency vehicle).
(2) Responsible for daily coverage of paid and volunteer routes. This includes scheduling drivers to deliver Meals-on-Wheels routes, handling unexpected call-offs and staff shortages, maintaining daily calendar of delivery drivers assigned to routes and current route openings, and contacting drivers to schedule and cover routes that are open.
(3) Responsible for monitoring driver documentation and records, and producing required daily, monthly and quarterly reports. This includes correcting daily delivery records, following up of driver client observations, and reviewing monthly gas credit card statements. Monitors route size and delivery time to assure safe delivery of the food, making run, client, and route corrections as needed, taking temperature checks of meals and completing appropriate forms to ensure that quality and sanitation standards are met. Produces daily report of route coverage, absences, substitutions, and problems and/or concerns regarding delivery.
(4) Responsible for providing orientation ride-a-longs for student interns, agency visitors, and newly hired agency personnel. This includes assigning driver and scheduling time and date for route.
(5) Performs other departmental and agency functions as necessary. This includes assisting with the orientation and training of departmental staff, attending agency functions, attending and participating in departmental and other meetings and committees as necessary, including the Volunteer Administrators Network.
Work in agency office, kitchen, dock areas, meal sites, and client homes. Generally works forty hours per week between agency opening and closing, Sunday through Saturday, and holidays on a rotating schedule.
High school diploma or equivalent. Preferred Associate’s degree in Human Services or related field. Position requires three to five years experience in a supervisory position. Two years experience working with volunteers. This employee must have strong customer relations experience, multi-task skills, be detail oriented; have basic to intermediate skills using Microsoft Office, an understanding of quality assurance standards and contract compliance; valid Ohio driver’s license; vehicle available for agency use; adequate auto insurance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- General knowledge of Human Resources standards of interview, hiring, evaluating, and disciplinary procedures.
- Knowledge of Franklin County streets, and efficient delivery techniques.
- Ability to communicate over the telephone and in person with a diverse public, including older adults and individuals with disabilities.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, including basic computer skills.
- Exceptional customer relations skills.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with departmental staff, agency staff, clients, volunteers, and members of the community.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain discretion and integrity in handling confidential information.
- Knowledge and understanding of volunteer motivation.
- Ability to be flexible and cope with last minute schedule and route changes.
- Ability to use common sense, patience, and mature judgement in decision making.
- Ability to develop and maintain training materials.
- Ability to conduct meetings.
- Ability to relate to volunteers in a productive positive manner.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.