This position will oversee all marketing and branding efforts for the agency. This includes all aspects of marketing, public relations and promotional efforts, media, and collaborative agency communication for a complex organization with multiple brands.
“An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer”
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Director of Marketing and Brands
STATUS: Full-Time (40 hours per week)
LOCATION OF WORK: 1699 W. Mound St.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Advancement
This position will oversee all marketing and branding efforts for the agency. This includes all aspects of marketing, public relations and promotional efforts, media, and collaborative agency communication for a complex organization with multiple brands. This position will provide strategic vision and oversight for marketing initiatives, in line with current trends and agency needs, as well as work closely with Advancement and other departments to ensure that all audience segments are well served. This includes internal and external projects for agency fundraising and volunteer efforts—collaborative content creation/promotion for donor appeals and events, volunteer engagement, and client impact—as well as client marketing efforts across all programs.
The successful candidate should have at least 5 years of experience leading marketing/branding and public relations with proven leadership success, thorough knowledge of marketing industry standards and best practices, brand management, traditional and digital methods (including websites and social media), strategic content and campaigns, and staff and project management.
This position will have frequent contact with both internal and external partners, such as program staff, media partners, and agency constituent groups (vendors, clients, donors, volunteers). The position collaborates extensively with other Advancement area directors to facilitate good internal communication and alignment, as well as provides high level insight for the Vice President of Advancement and/or President and CEO. This position requires a professional demeanor at all times to project a positive image that is crucial to the success of the agency.
The position manages Marketing staff and is responsible for metrics/reporting for all marketing and promotional efforts. The position will be a part of a collaborative Advancement team, and may support other areas as needed or when the Advancement team has large/special events. Work requires expert communication skills, both strategic/big picture ability and strong organizational skills, attention to detail and quality control, and ability to multi-task and meet deadlines. Work performed in this position will be of a professional and confidential nature, and requires an understanding of general office practices and an understanding of the inner workings of the agency, its programs, and the broader Advancement team. Position requires performing multiple tasks with multiple deadlines, as well as a significant amount of independence and self-direction to accomplish its essential functions and responsibilities. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Vice President of Advancement and in cooperation with other Agency personnel.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Lead agency efforts to promote, protect, and maintain a successful brand and image in the community, with a growth mindset for increased community positioning. Ensure that brand standards are consistently met, while evaluating for updates and improvements as needed (for example, if new merger partners join the agency). Make informed recommendations to Executive Leadership regarding brand decisions, as well as implement ongoing updates to agency staff at every level to help instill brand alignment across every department and employee area.
Media and Public Relations
Lead efforts to obtain consistent flow of free media in the community to highlight the agency’s work. This includes cultivating relationships with media outlets and personnel across TV, radio, and print platforms; press releases and high profile events (for example merger press conferences). Media efforts may occur on holidays and weekends. While this position will have opportunity to mobilize a team for specific tasks, the position is responsible to serve as lead on the efforts below.
- Integrate media efforts with digital marketing efforts, to ensure that obtained media is well-communicated and celebrated as appropriate across platforms.
- Serve as the point person for the President and CEO, arranging interviews and preparing key talking points as appropriate for all interview parties.
- Serve as the point person for client and mission impact stories, as well as securing clients for media interviews, photos, and video content.
- Monitor local, regional, and national media trends and conversations to stay relevant and pitch appropriate agency stories at all levels to garner coverage.
Oversee and lead strategic content for all agency marketing—for multiple audience segments, including clients, donors, funders, volunteers, corporate partners, etc.
- Oversee marketing project queue and enforce internal processes to ensure high quality and on-time project completion, including close collaboration with program areas to ensure successful.
- Plan and launch (limited) paid ad campaigns when appropriate—including annual volunteer recruitment ads, giving guide pages, etc.
- Monitor trends and industry best practices, with ability to scale to a nonprofit setting with limited budget.
Oversee digital strategies for agency brands, including websites, social media, video and ad production, e-mail marketing, and blog content.
- Grow audiences across social media platforms through engaging, relevant, and on-brand content, with special attention to avoid engaging in polarizing issues/trends that may alienate our diverse and broad followership.
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date website content, including ongoing needs for Advancement team updates (event landing pages, etc.)
- Plan and direct flow of communication annually, quarterly, monthly, etc. across various areas of Advancement and audience segmentation (newsletter, donor communications, special events, etc.).
- Plan and implement campaigns for digital platforms, in alignment with other agency marketing/appeals/communications that may be circulating through traditional methods.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing/Communications (or related field), with at least five years of experience leading Marketing and Brand Management. Must also have experience and high level of comfort engaging media partners and speaking on behalf of the agency. Adept management and supervisory experience. Ability to build authentic relationships across all levels of donors and agency constituents/partners. Professional demeanor and appearance; excellent communication and public speaking skills (verbal and written); robust knowledge of marketing and branding best practices; proficient knowledge of design and project management programs, as well as basic Microsoft Office.
Full time employment working 40 hours per week, between 8 a.m. opening and 5 p.m. closing, Monday through Friday; some weekend, evening, or early morning hours; on call for media stories on holidays, weekends, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, including a high level of professionalism and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrated leadership, including managing direct reports and strategic oversight.
- Models agency’s core values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence, and Sustainability as a leader who demonstrates the following characteristics: organized, self-starter, attention to detail, project ownership & follow through, and commitment.
- Proven success leading all aspects of marketing and brand management.
- Ability to engage publicly and present dynamically to large and small groups.
- Proven success engaging media and partners positively by phone, e-mail, and in person.
- Ability to maintain discretion and integrity in handling confidential information.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, staff members, agency Board Members, clients, and members of the community.
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage a multifaceted approach to both internal and external communications.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple job assignments; strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (in particular InDesign), as well as standard Microsoft Office, and standard office functions.