“An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer”
POSITION TITLE: Catering Cook (503b)
REPORTS TO: Executive Catering Chef
This position is responsible for preparation, cooking and presentation of food for LA Catering and all other LifeCare meal programs. Also ensures compliance with Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) regulations as well as federal, state, and local health and safety regulations for assigned areas. Responsible for both internal and external catering functions for the agency. Responsible for reports as assigned. Work performed in this position will be of a professional and sometimes confidential nature. Work requires attention to detail, flexibility, excellent communication skills, and the ability to handle multiple functions at one time. This position may have contact with agency associates, customers, and other supporters of the agency. A positive and cooperative image and attitude is crucial for this position. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Executive Chef and/or Sous Chef. This position requires a significant amount of independence, self-direction and self- discipline to accomplish the essential functions and responsibilities.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES /ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for food preparation, cooking, and presentation for LA Catering and all LifeCare Meals program.
- Ensures all food products are prepared according to standardized recipes and established cooking procedures. Ensures meals are produced according to specifications for taste, quality and appearance. Monitors portion control of foods produced. Helps develops and standardizes recipes.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) regulations as well as federal, state, and local health and safety regulations. This would also include completing regulatory paperwork, ensuring staff compliance with sanitary procedures, and monitoring assigned areas for quality control.
- Promotes a professional image to all associates, customers, and other supporters of the agency. Represents the agency at various functions and participates on committees as assigned.
Work is performed in a large institutional kitchen. May work in refrigerated and freezer areas in the kitchen. Also works with the catering staff in offsite caterings at different locations thru out the city including businesses and residential properties. Works scheduled hours per day between a.m. opening and p.m. closing, Monday through Friday. Weekend, and holiday work may be required.
Serv Safe Certification required or must complete certification within first 12 months of employment. Two years’ culinary experience – catering experience preferred. Must have a valid Ohio Driver’s License and vehicle available for agency use. Must be able to complete agency training to drive catering vehicles; full size van. 14” box truck, 26 ‘refrigerated box truck.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of food safety, sanitation, and personal hygiene standards.
- Knowledge of purchasing, food handling and food storage regulations.
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Knowledge of legal and acceptable supervisory practices related to employee selection, discipline, performance evaluations, and other supervisory duties.
- Must possess good organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and assign tasks.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement based on meaningful observations and evaluations.
- Ability to maintain and promote effective working relationships with LifeCare Alliance staff, guests, and clients.