This year’s Senior Farmers Market application period has begun!
LifeCare Alliance, along with the Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging, will deliver thousands of boxes of fresh produce to seniors across seven central Ohio counties.
Last year’s produce boxes, which are funded by the USDA’s Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program, included apples, carrots, greens, onions, peppers, and tomatoes.
What will you make with your produce box? We’ll be sharing some ideas throughout the spring and summer, with the help of the USDA. (Note: Ingredients in addition to the produce provided will need to be purchased to complete these recipes.)
Carrots with Tomatoes and Macaroni
Each serving of this delicious and quick pasta dish provides 1 1/2 cups of veggies.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 4 plum tomatoes (chopped, from a can)
- 1/2 cup tomato juice (from a can)
- 6 carrots (large, peeled and sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
- In a saucepan, cook the onion in the oil until soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and cook over low heat, stirring often, for another 5 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and the tomatoes are cooked down to a sauce.
- Stir in the parsley. Mix the butter with the cooked elbows. Stir in the carrot mixture and serve.
Source: University of Rhode Island, Cooperative Extension, The Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program
The Seniors Farmers Market Nutrition Program is designed to provide low-income seniors with access to locally grown fruits, vegetables, honey and herbs.
LifeCare Alliance administers the local Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program in seven central Ohio counties. The program is funded by the USDA, with additional support from the Franklin County Office on Aging and the Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging.
Click here to learn more about the program or to apply today!